Monday, June 13, 2011

Rethinking Stereotypes

This is a post written by Liz, who is unable to access the blog right now because of the internet restrictions where she currently is residing.



I am in Shanghai, China right now. Ever since I graduated high school from there, I am back in Shanghai every summer.  Recently my best friend from high school, Lory, and I went on a pub crawl in Shanghai.  The actual pub crawl was awesome, but the other people on the crawl (the other 50 or so participants) are what makes it fun and a different experience every time I go on one.

Anyway the point of this story is not how great Shanghai nightlife is, but about stereotypes of Americans abroad.  We met a lot of people on the crawl.  My friend Lory is ethnically Chinese from Malaysia, but was born in Georgia, but only lived in Georgia for a year while still a baby.  After being born in the U.S., she lived in four different Asian countries, going to various international schools.  She now goes to college in the Midwest, so when people ask her where she is from, it’s always a confusing question, and she still has not found a satisfying answer.

Lory decided to go with the “I’m from Malaysia” answer that night.  It was interesting to see the different reactions of various people.  I was surprised by the ignorance of some such as this particular American guy who was interested in my friend but said slowly to her, “I’m single.  Do you know what that means?” Others did not know Malaysia was a country.  I did not help the American stereotype of not really knowing world geography/cultures when I was talking with some Italians also on the crawl.  I told them my dad was Italian, born and raised (true), and that I had taken a few Italian classes for free the past semester.  When they asked me what I had learned, after a few minutes I could only think of three words (“colazione” – breakfast; “fritatta” – like a quiche type thing; “binario tre” – track 3). 

I also felt silly when talking with someone from Denmark and saying “Oh! I just went there over Spring break- Amsterdam is so nice!” (Amsterdam is NOT in Denmark by the way…)

Maybe I can blame this on the fact that I was on a pub crawl and a few drinks in, but regardless it was pretty embarrassing, but it made me realize not to be so critical of Americans abroad.  I’ve been lucky to have many opportunities to travel, yet I still say stupid things.  Many people don’t have the opportunity to travel abroad, and this sometimes comes off as ignorance.  One of the things I’m doing in Shanghai this summer is helping with a few groups of Americans studying abroad here.  They arrive in a few weeks, so I’m excited to see what they think of life here! I’ll keep you posted!

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment