Thursday, June 2, 2011

Famous

I don’t know if anyone else reads the Daily Mail, but I love hearing about all of my favorite British celebrities. Recently, there has been a big “scandal” because Cheryl Cole was apparently fired from the US version of the X Factor.

Here’s the thing. To some people, that above paragraph may have no meaning. Who is Cheryl Cole? What is the X Factor?

And it makes me realize how much we don’t know about what is going on in the world. There are heroes and celebrities, fashion icons and singers who are plastered all over their nation’s front page, and yet, we are none the wiser.

We read the occasional news story. We talk about the leader of here or the leader of there, but unless we make a conscious effort to really go out and see what’s going on, we won’t truly understand anything about this leader’s or that leader’s culture.

That’s one of the blessings of DC. There is always some sort of event that can introduce us to new cultures and different fads, but even these opportunities are limited. The events we receive, the ones we see advertised everywhere, are usually considered “cultivated” or “intellectually stimulating.” Where’s the Finnish Death Metal? Where are the J or K-Pop concerts? Where are my Bollywood stars?

For me, to be truly ready for a globalized world, we need to step out of our comfort zones and see what appeals to everyone else. What songs do others sing when they’re riding in the car? What “underground” fashion does the “misunderstood” youth wear? What face do people see on the front of their magazines? Sure, it’s gossip. Sure, it’s pop culture. And no, celebrities (like governments) are not usually accurate representations of "everyday" society. But, in the end, we can learn a lot about a people by what they find entertaining, inspiring, infuriating, or downright trivial.

A month ago, Pakistani actress, model, social worker, and television anchor Veena Malik was accused by a Muslim cleric of dishonoring her nation and Islam for appearing on an Indian show equivalent to the US show “Big Brother.” Her response to his accusations and the support she received has taught me more about Pakistan’s culture than most of the articles about violence and war plastered all over the front page of the news.

Currently, the cast of the US reality show “Jersey Shore” is filming in Florence, Italy. I have never watched more than five minutes of the show, and, personally, do not like it, but many Americans my age do. The cast's time in Florence, however, has left them branded the “worst US export ever,” a “disgrace to Italian Americans,” and, in many ways, has presented the Italians with every negative aspect and stereotype of American culture. The US audience who already loves the show will probably continue to love it. The reaction I have witnessed from around the world has helped me see how this aspect of my culture is received by others. That’s another thing I like about reading foreign news: I get a different perspective on my own culture.

The US exports a lot of pop culture. Hollywood’s movie stars and recording artists can be found spreading their messages to every corner of the world. Angelina Jolie. Mickey Mouse. Britney Spears. Lady Gaga. Tom Cruise. These are globally recognized names.


If I say, “I think Angelina stole Brad from Jen,” most people have at least some idea of what I’m saying.




When I say, “I’m glad Cheryl left Ashley,” I get a lot of blank stares.



They say one reason Cheryl Cole was “fired” from the US version of the X Factor is that contestants couldn’t understand her Geordie accent. While I agree that there are many accents that can be challenging to understand, I’ve heard her speak numerous times and have never had a problem. Maybe, however, it’s because I have spent time visiting her country and learning about its culture and history. Maybe, it’s because I have become a better listener as a result of the time I have spent abroad and conversing with international friends, peers, co-workers, and visitors.

The US, as a society, is not always receptive to globalization when we’re on the receiving end. Many people negatively react to the thought of having to become a more open, accepting, and understanding culture.

On the other hand, there are groups like ours, dedicated to exploring, embracing, and protecting all that the world has to offer.

So, what was the point of this really long blog post?

Go Challenge yourself!

Listen to a song in a language you don’t know. Learn about a famous actor whose movies you’ll probably never see. Find out what the latest fashion accessory is for a person living two thousand miles away.

And then …

Share it! Spread the knowledge. Spread the culture. Spread the understanding.

Bring meaning to the words “International Ambassador.”

-"K.Mannes"

No comments:

Post a Comment