Sunday, June 12, 2011

Transcultural Friendship

I want to declare my true passion for 1 + 1 > 2.  No, this is not bad math. Actually, I got really excited by the magic sum of two people expressing mutual admiration and desire. The result of this encounter gives new perspectives into the windows of the future.

Since I came to the US I have tried to overcome the barriers of the language and culture to make real friends. Gladly I have made a few, however, I am still trying to figure out when real friends allow themselves to share intimacy. Is it on the bar table or smoking a cigarette in work interval? Is it when attending a football game or having a BBQ on Sunday? When is there that friends are just together with no pretext for that and that moment is enough in itself because it is felt like part of what is meaningful in live?

1 comment:

  1. You bring up an interesting question, Heitor. Certainly friendship is a universal concept, but how we experience or define friendship various quite a bit from culture to culture. How is it different here in the US than in Brazil or Germany or China? Americans tend to have many people who they call friends, but in other cultures those people would be more considered acquaintances. There are many people I enjoy talking to and spending time with, but very few that I feel comfortable enough to discuss intimate details of my life, who I trust with my secrets and raw feelings. There is a song by The Who that goes "How many friends have I really got, you can count 'em on one hand..."

    ReplyDelete