Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My breakfast story


I never understood those people who say that they don’t “do” breakfast. After reading Kelly’s post, you wonder how it would be possible to pass up on those delicious American dishes. If you can’t tell, I LOVE breakfast. In fact, I love breakfast so much that I often have “breakfast-dinner,” which is the opposite of “dinner-breakfast.” While some people may heat up leftover pizza from the night before to start their day, I prolong breakfast into the evening. Pancakes at 7 am? Yes! Omelets or French toast at 7 pm? Of course! I’m a breakfast-food girl.

My fondest breakfast memories trace back to both of my grandfathers. My Mom’s dad would take my sister and me out for breakfast on Sunday mornings when we were little. Being a good Pennsylvania man, he always ordered 2 sides of scrapple. For an official description of what exactly constitutes scrapple, you can read Kelly’s post below. I for one prefer my Papa’s description. He told me that scrapple is made by the butcher, who takes all of the leftover bits that have fallen out of various animals, mashes them together, and then sells it to a restaurant, which fries it up in butter and oil and serves it to old men with few tastebuds. He would then do a little dance while he popped the scrapple in his mouth.

Needless to say, I never once sampled the scrapple off of his plate, although I loved our morning breakfast tradition.

Breakfast with my other grandfather was a completely different experience. He makes the best pancakes in the world. It’s a family recipe, and is so involved that step one of the pancake batter has to be started the night before. Now, my Dad makes the “Grandad Pancakes” on holidays, but the smell of them still reminds me of waking up at my grandparents house in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I would tell you the secret ingredients, but I was only recently entrusted with them, and I’m just not sure how secure this internet connection is J
I would like to close with a (breakfast) song. I take no credit for this…it was one of the tracks on our Raffi “kids sing-a-long” tape that played on repeat when I was a wee thing:

“Breakfast is great, it’s yummy in my tummy I can’t wait. There’s cereal, french toast, eggs and ham, pancakes and bacon, bagels and jam! I wish it were morning so I could seeeeeeeeeeeee breakfast for me!” (sung in a round) 
 --Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment