Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Taste the World!

As I anticipate a DELICIOUS lunch of Panang Curry and Pad Thai, I thought I would write a rant about my favorite international foods restaurants in DC...

I absolutely love:

Thai- Thai Coast (on campus-ish) and Thai X-ing (on Florida Avenue)
Ethiopian - Meskerem (on U St)
Morrocan - Marakesh Palace (near Dupont)
French - Le Bistrot du Coin (Dupont)
Native American - American Indian Museum Mitsitam Café (Smithsonian)
Chinese - Sichuan Pavilion (on campus) and Tea Noodle Rice Cafe (Arlington)

And that's my shortlist for now, that I would recommend without hesitation! I love tasting what nourishment tastes like in other parts of the world. I love knowing what other people wake up in the morning craving (the way I woke up craving eggy bread and bacon for breakfast and a chicken avocado baguette for lunch). And now it seems I crave what they crave too, more often than not! Like panang curry and enjera and ginger chicken casserole and mussels and fry bread and tangine... Mmmm......

The world tastes good.
-Natasha

3 comments:

  1. Wowww.. That's nice. So, now I have a wishlist to go ;)P

    Also, I would recommend "Mai Thai" (Dupont Circle, Georgetown). Try "Drunken Noodle", "Grilled Beef Salad". YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMmmm, food.

    I'll add my favorites!

    Thai: Thai Tanic (near 14th + Rhode Island)
    They are the place holder for a few years in best thai food in DC. They earn it. Amaaaaazing food. Dont be afraid to try something other than Pad Thai > <, their thai curries are great as are some of the house specials like Thai Tanic Star, a personal favorite.

    Malaysian: Malaysia Kopitiam (M + 19, next to Chipotle)
    This is a little hidden place below ground level that has some really great dishes from Malaysia/SE Asia. Their Roti Canai (malay classic) is absolutely to die for. They have some great curries, noodle soups, and even some tastey non-spicy dishes too.

    Sushi: Tsunami (Above Thaitanic)
    The name is just an unfortunate coincidence of fate. The food on the other hand has nothing to do with the unfortunate. The main chef, Nick, makes incredibly creative and unique sushi rolls like you can't find anywhere else in DC. They even have a baked roll called the Lava Roll. Check it. Sit at the sushi bar in front of the chef and tell him Brett sent you, maybe he'll throw in a roll or something ;)

    Korean: Honey Pig and Yechon. It's a tie! If you're really trying to get authentic Korean food, it's possible. The restaurants Yechon and Honey Pig are both located in Virginia's vast Koreatown. Yechon is the main specialties of Korea. Very tastey. If you are looking for something a little more exciting in terms of experience and environment, definitely go to Honey Pig. It's a korean barbecue place that sends you to the skies and back. Additionally, its 24-7 service!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How have I lived in DC for two years and haven't heard of these places yet? (Minus Thai place, of course)

    I know what I'm checking out soon. :)

    Oh! And I looove Yechon--it's this Korean/Japanese BBQ place in Annandale, I believe.

    -Marice

    ReplyDelete